A Different Approach

First I want to say that if you didn't get a separate post for Peeking Witches, it is listed below. I had my post completely finished and forgot to go back into Blogger and publish it. I have a NOSEY sister, who goes in at night to see what I have done for the day. She can't wait until she gets her email in the morning. So I don't post my new artwork too early, because I know she is peeking. I told her it was her fault for being so snoopy....LOL!

I switched gears from bright and cute cards to a more serious, pretty design. This card was so hard to make. Not because it is a sympathy card, but because I took a different approach than I normally do when I make a card. Most of the time I start with a stamp set first. Well, this time I challenged myself. I started with the Pink Carnation cardstock that I had embossed with my Cuttlebug folder. I have had this embossed cardstock sitting on my scrap table for about two months and decided I needed to use it.

The first thing I did was swipe my White Daisy ink pad across the embossed images. Then I picked my paper packet - More To Adore and distressed the paper with Chocolate ink. I matted the Pink Carnation (embossed) with Chocolate cardstock. The White Daisy flowers just didn't work for me. I read the colors in the catalog for More To Adore and it had Vanilla Cream listed, so I swiped the embossed images again with Vanilla Cream ink. Oh, that didn't look good at all! I was frustrated, so why not swipe the embossed images again in Chocolate. I did! I like how that turned out, so I continued still a little frustrated. I just sat there and looked at the card hoping an idea would pop in my head. Finally, it did! BUTTERFLIES! I had a butterfly already stamped and used my prismacolors to give it a little color. I didn't want it to overwhelm the card, so I used light pink for a soft and subtle look. It is very light and I outlined the butterfly in a shade darker. I attached the butterfly with pop dots to make it look 3-D above the flowers.

Now, time for the sentiment. How could I put my sentiment on the card without messing up the look I was going for and where would I put it? I knew I didn't want to use a square or rectangle, because of the straight lines, so I broke out my Creative Memories cutting system and found the perfect size oval. I stamped my sentiment and distressed the oval with Chocolate ink. Okay, this card was starting to come together. I decided to add pink organdy ribbon to the bottom, used my Corner Adorner concave punch and pink brads in the corners. Viola! It was finished. I am happy with how it turned out and it only took about 30 minutes to make.

I happened to say to my husband, "That turned out better than I thought." when I was standing up from my table. He was walking by, looked over and said, "That is pretty." Wow! I got more than "That's nice." Boy, I needed that!

I used the following stamp sets: Comforting Thoughts and Butterflies.

A reminder that we are on our way to Okoboji Friday morning for a mini-vacation this weekend. I will try to post while I am there. It just depends on Internet service at the hotel and our schedule.

Thanks for stopping by and have a great weekend!
A Different ApproachSocialTwist Tell-a-Friend

3 comments:

Jules said...

Another wonderful creation, well done!

Flossie's Follies said...

Great blog, love your "witches" card and this one is fantastic.

Rachele Funk said...

Love it Kim! You have a knack for taking the tired old BT and making it looking completely fresh and new! Great job!