Pages

Technique Tuesday - Soot Stamping

Okay, I broke out one of my many idea books and tried a new technique....Soot Stamping! I thought it would be hard, but it wasn't. The directions were awesome from my book, Stacy and Friends: 40 Techniques for Making Cards. I purchased this book at Hobby Lobby with my 40% off coupon. It is great. I totally forgot about the cd that came with it that includes 40 bonus projects. I am going to have to check that out tonight.

On my card, the school bus was stamped using this new technique. Since I was trying this, I decided to card lift the one shown in the book. It isn't exactly the same, but very similar. I even used twill on the bottom like they did.

Soot Stamping: directions are taken from the book I mentioned above.

1. Hold paper in center of flame until blackened with soot.

2. Let paper cool; press stamp firmly into soot. (You do not put ink on the stamp.)

3. Spray a fixative on image.

Designer tips:
  • Use a candle where the wick is even with the candle and not in a well.
  • Hold the paper in the middle of the candle's flame to avoid catching the paper on fire.
  • Stamps with large or sold designs work best for soot stamping.
  • Avoid touching soot as your fingerprint will remove soot. (I had a fingerprint on mine and sanded the edge to blend it all in, so it couldn't be seen.) Once your image is stamped, spray with a clear spray to prevent smearing. (I tried Matte preserve spray and I still had my fingerprint show up. Then I tried hairspray, let it dry and it was fine.)
  • Use a larger piece of paper than needed so you don't have to apply soot to the paper's edges. This also helps prevent catching the paper on fire.
  • You must use glossy cardstock for soot stamping.
Products used: Colonial White cardstock for base, Route 66 paper packet, Adhesive-backed Twill, Glossy cardstock, American Crafts ribbon, Making Memories ribbon holder (not sure what this is called..HEE HEE!), Black ink, School Fun and School Days stamp sets, pencil buttons (company unknown).

This is much easier than it reads. The only problem I had was the image wanted to smear. Once I sprayed it with hairspray and let it dry it was fine.

I think I answered all the questions from my blog candy post, so don't you think I should have a blog candy post soon? Well, I just might have to do that...keep watching!

Michelle, I haven't forgotten your question about my ink pad holder on a different post. My father-in-law did not have the directions, since he is never making another one. I don't think he liked drilling all the holes. Please email me at stampfest@cox.net and I will send you what I gave him to start the project.

Thanks for stopping by and Happy Stamping!

1 comment:

Sacred Heart Catholic Church said...

Very interesting. I think you should bring that technique book with you when you come to crop.